Thursday 10 March 2011

Delighted to be back in York after a disappointing London tour

To say I'd been excited about my first tour in London is something of an understatement. I'd not only been looking forward to working in London for the first time since I worked for Maxes Angels (one of best agencies in the country, if not the best) a couple of years ago. I'd also been almost unbearably ecstatic at the thought of just spending time in the city I called home for the majority of my adult life.
I almost wouldn't have minded if the tour hadn't been "successful" - all the more time to spend shopping in Harrods, Harvey Nicks and all my other much missed Knightsbridge and Kings Road stores, interspersed with leisurely strolls around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, and trips to the V and A, Natural History and Science Museums. I had it all planned, including returning home to Chester with new sets of lingerie from both Agent Provocateur and Myla (I was never really as fond of La Perla, although I'm prepared to keep an open mind should anyone wish to find  me something from the range that proves me wrong!)

Alas my lovely, much anticipated, time in London was not to be. From the moment I arrived in Kensington, before I'd even arrived at my accommodation, things started to go wrong. The first problem: the car in which I was driven to the big smoke began to smoke. Unaccustomed to the long periods of time spent sitting in traffic (with which every Londoner will be very familiar) the vehicle, perhaps in need of a good service, began to overheat and alarming plumes of smoke began to rise from the general bonnet area. Luckily the person who was driving was far too capable to let a little thing like that phase him. He handled the machine beautifully and deposited me safely at my pre-booked hotel.

Cue the second problem and perhaps the one that should have warned me nothing was going to run smoothly and I should turn heel and depart immediately without a backward glance: the hotel booking had been ****ed up. Entirely the fault of the booking company and nothing to do with the hotel, who handled the situation with dignity and to the best of their ability, my reservation was, shall we say, problematic? To elaborate would be to enrage me all over again, suffice to say I will never use that particular company again and would recommend anyone booking a hotel indirectly, through a company offering discounted rates, exercises extreme caution and takes at a spare credit card with them as a minimum precaution.

Things started to look up once I was safely checked in and settled in my room. The hotel was superb. My room was large and beautiful. I was delighted to have found somewhere so both aesthetically pleasing and well suited to receive visitors over the next few days. Unfortunately my good luck was short-lived as I woke up the following morning with a sky high fever, sickness - basically I was very ill indeed. I had no choice but to turn my phone off and crawl back to bed for the next 2 days.

 The final day of my tour was the Friday. Although by then I was far better, almost totally recovered in fact, lack of food and general weakness meant I was unable to leave my hotel room and it took me until 6pm to rise and take a bath. My one bit of good fortune, and the only saving grace for the entire trip, was to be visited Friday evening by one of the nicest gentlemen I possibly ask to meet. A rare combination of handsome, sexy, compassionate and generous, my visitor was a Godsend abet for far too short an amount of time. Heartfelt thanks to that man.

 I'm pleased to say that, after checking out of the hotel Saturday morning,  I did make it to the Knightsbridge shops while I was waiting for my lift back to Chester. Unfortunately, after the huge financial loss I'd endured over the previous few days, I simply couldn't justify the expenditure of treating myself to Agent Provocateur or Myla. I have, however, picked out the sets I'd like to purchase when I return in the future to complete a (hopefully) more successful Kensington Tour. Many apologies to anyone who tried to contact me during that week. I do hope we can meet instead in the upcoming months.

I'm delighted to say I've now returned to York for a few days, after my last trip here being too short by far. Rest assured I've reset my rates to the level with which I was happy originally (although I will have to rise them a little to cover my extra expenses whenever I visit London).

1 comment:

  1. "Sounds" like an awful time down South, start of APRIL should be a better start. xxXx

    ReplyDelete